Sunday, April 15, 2012

Twenty-Nine.

On my birthday last year, I was pondering where I would be going, what I would be doing and who I would become as I prepared for my trip to Hawaii.



This year, a lot has changed. I'm still inspired from my journey to Hawaii, when before I had no idea what I was missing. I'm quicker on my feet, less sheltered and not as naive as I once was. Traveling and meeting new people opens your world for sure.

This year, instead of doing a family celebration before everyone went on to their own endeavors, I celebrated a fun filled 29th Birthday with my brothers in the afternoon and my friends in the evening. 


I expected a really low key, quiet birthday. (It was the first one I would celebrate where I was no longer living at home.) Instead, I (happily) received a lot of phone calls from friends and family giving me well wishes. I'd expected to hang out with my friends at night, (we'd made plans a week earlier) but when I called my twin brother to wish him a Happy Birthday, he told me that our brother Dan was surprising us with a birthday lunch and to meet at his place by 11:30. So, that began my whirl wind day. 

When I arrived at Brother's place, Brother 2 and his girlfriend Gen were waiting with gifts and cards. I was so touched. They certainly didn't have to get us anything. I received Barnes and Noble gift cards from my brothers and some money and a Target gift card from Gen. Then we went to a nice little place called Confectionately Yours. It used to be just an ice cream place, but now they've changed locations and made it into a full restaurant. It's one of the only restaurants in our old town/my brother's current town. The owner is super nice and hospitable. The food and ESPECIALLY the desserts and candy are to die for. It looks like one of those old school soda shops.

After lunch we went back to Brother's apartment to catch up for a bit. Then I met my friends for dinner. Some of the friends I hadn't seen in quite awhile, so it was so nice to catch up with them. 


I was just happy to be surrounded by good company, but they put a lot of thought into cards and simple gifts too. I think they were going with a "kid at heart theme". I didn't mind. I was moved.


My favorite childhood books. (PS: These were well searched for. Thank you all!)

The next day, my dad and stepmom celebrated our birthday with all three of us, plus Gen. (our birthdays are pretty close together) I was again surrounded by good company and my dad and stepmom got me awesome jewelry! (Lynda told me she thought the style of the necklace said me all over it. She was right. )



All in all, it was a lovely day. It was a nice reminder that I have good people and a lot of love around me. Sometimes, you need that reminder, especially when things get tough. It was certainly remembered that day.

11 comments:

  1. Awww Katie! Happy Birthday! Nothing beats family and good friends. Glad they made you feel special.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, sounds like you had an awesome birthday!! Are those the babysitter's club books??!! Oh my, I use to read those books too.

    You have a lot of thoughtful friends and family. What a great way to spend your birthday, surrounded by all that love!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Why yes, yes they are! (everyone found them at thrift stores. I couldn't believe it, it made me laugh.)

    I am indeed very lucky. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy birthday! Love the jewelry!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy Birthday! You got some great stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy Birthday, Katie. Seems like you had a wonderful one. Got your post on my scentsy post, and if you're ready to begin your scentsy journey I am here waiting :) Like I said in the post, you won't be disappointed at all. I hope all is well with your Wednesday :) the happily ever after

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy, happy birthday! I believe in celebrating birthdays, you should always celebrate the time you have to live. Looks like you really did that this year.Those books look like so much fun and that mother of pearl bracelet has my name all over it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Rachel, Thank you so much! I'd love to begin next month with you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks WhisperingWriter and KG! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Fly Girl, you are so right! (I used to not be so Birthday Crazy. It became a long running joke when I realized my twin brother was not a Birthday fan. I amped it up. ;) )

    I didn't even realize that the bracelet was mother of pearl. I just knew it was beautiful. You learn something new everyday.

    ReplyDelete